Monday, June 16, 2008

Episode 128: "He Treats Me Like A Dog"


Now this lady sings some blues. This episode is blues legend Bessie Mae Smith singing "My Man Treats Me Like A Dog", and boy...the lyrics to this one are some truth and pain. I mean, she doesn't leave much to the imagination about how her relationship is going, and she's tired...she's tired of it. This poor country girl has it rough, and she sings it out in this song with a strong, beautiful voice. But that's what the blues is all about. Bessie Mae also went by the stage name "St. Louis Bessie" and also recorded under the name "Blue Belle". If y'all like this song, I have one more I'm gonna share in my "ladies who sang the blues" series. Then we'll keep it going for "Black Music Month" after that. Stay tuned. Peace.

2 comments:

christmasbb said...

you sound like you know the blues. St. Louis sure has been the home of some great blues

Bill Lee said...

I can't say that I really know a LOT about the blues...I grew up with hip-hop, but I have learned to really enjoy and appreciate the blues, and looking for content for this podcast has introduced me to some great old blues songs and artists that I'd never heard of before. That's the type of stuff that I love to share and spread around the world with this podcast. Just as a fan of music, the overall influence of the old "delta blues" has been undeniable. I've even been inspired to try and learn how to play the harmonica! Texas is home to some good blues too.