Sunday, June 8, 2008

Episode 126: "Where Is My Good Man At?"


As I've said before, I'm a fan of the old timey blues...and as my audience demographic poll has shown, it seems that the sisters have been my core audience supporting this podcast so far. So to show some love for the sisters who have been faithfully checking out the BMA podcast, with this episode I'm kicking off a new short series of episodes of ladies who sang the blues. First off is Memphis Minnie singing "Where Is My Good Man At?". One of Memphis Minnie's more famous songs was "When The Levee Breaks" that she recorded with then husband Kansas Joe McCoy, but I wanted to podcast this one instead, as it highlights her solo singing and guitar playing talent. As the words on her headstone say, "The hundreds of sides Minnie recorded are the perfect material to teach us about the blues. For the blues are at once general, and particular, speaking for millions, but in a highly singular, individual voice. Listening to Minnie's songs we hear her fantasies, her dreams, her desires, but we will hear them as if they were our own." Peace.

No comments: