Thursday, May 22, 2008

Episode 123: Malcolm X & James Baldwin


Although I have been podcasting a series of speeches lately (in response to the results of my audience poll), this episode is not a speech. It's even better than a speech...it's a debate! And it is my pleasure to make this episode available as this debate is between Malcolm X and James Baldwin. On April 25, 1961 these two debated on the issue of American racism, the methods of the civil rights movement, and what it meant to be a Negro in those times. It is fascinating to me to listen to the ideologies and beliefs of these two men as they respond to each other in this debate. It is not often that you get to hear two historic black men such as these engage each other in debate, as we are usually given one-sided views of individuals through speeches or lectures. Just as an aside...when was the last time you heard a thoughtful debate on the airwaves? Nowadays, even in the midst of a political election, you don't really hear a lot of substantial debate being broadcast...especially not between African-Americans, and definitely not on hot-button issues such as American racism anymore. Or maybe I just don't listen to the radio enough to catch them, but if I am missing something...someone please let me know. But back to this episode, it is a respectful exchange of ideas that absolutely deserves re-evaluation. So I urge all of my audience to listen and spread the word about the speech series that the BMA is currently podcasting. I have a few more that I feel compelled to share in the next couple of episodes, so thanks for listening and I hope that y'all are enjoying them. Hey...you asked for it! Peace.

P.S. I couldn't find a photo of these two men together, instead I decided to post this photo of James Baldwin. I just like it.

No comments: