Saturday, May 10, 2008

Episode 120: H. Rap Brown & Stokeley Carmichael


Since speeches are still the most enjoyed content according to the poll...I gotta give the people what they want. So the next few episodes, I'm going to share a couple of my favorite speeches that I've collected with y'all. This episode is a recording of some good ones, and by good I mean thought-provoking and controversial. Some stuff that you probably won't hear anywhere else. Back on episode 40, you could see included shortened video clips of these two speeches. Well this episode are the speeches of H. Rap Brown and Stokeley Carmichael, leaders of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in their entirety. These speeches were delivered 40 years ago at the Free Huey P. Newton rally held in the Oakland Auditorium on February 17, 1968. I'm not even sure what to say about these words...I mean all you can really do is listen. Listen and think. And whether you agree or disagree with them, these two men had some guts to speak the way they did. I say that because I can't help but think that they had to know that they would face some kind of consequences and repercussions for speaking out like that. But they did it anyways. And they spoke up unapologetically. Does that take courage? Is it arrogant stupidity? Do you hear any young black men or women speaking out like that today? Do you ever wonder why not? Do you know what happened to these two? If not...you need to look it up. Peace.

P.S. Thank you LasPecas for your comment on iTunes. That brings my total back up to 10 (I seem to have lost one somewhere along the line). But I appreciate the supportive words, and I'll have to put out some more jazzy video content for you and the other old school jazz lovers out there in the near future.

No comments: