Friday, February 22, 2008

Episode 102: Gil Scott Heron


Another black history month special episode. None other than the great poet Gil Scott Heron reciting a part from his poem/song "Black History, The World". This clip in particular came from "Black Wax" by the filmmaker Robert Mugge, as he filmed the controversial artist in performance at the now-defunct Wax Museum in Washington, D.C., in 1982. Check out the song if you can find it. I'd upload it for you, but I haven't figured out how to drop an audio file into these blog postings. And NEXT episode I'll bring y'all another black and white, old-timey BMA classic episode. Promise.

P.S. Thank you everyone for checking this podcast out over black history month and beyond. Thank you "Choirlady" for your inspiring comment on iTunes. It was a joy to read, and such kind words keep me motivated, and will keep this project going. Thanks also "THIS IS AL." for the props. Get at me through the email, use the email link on the www.theBMA.org 'contact' page. I'd like the chance to communicate with you. And one more shout out to "Desto22", thanks for your comment as well. This brings the iTunes total up to 10 (double digits baby!) and all 5 stars!! That's 50 stars!! Whooo hooo! I appreciate y'all. Peace.

1 comment:

Keela the Bee said...

I absolutely loved this one. I've been a fan of Gil Scott Heron since discovering him on Itunes of all places. I had heard his most popular pieces but never knew it was him. Now I have since downloaded his entire albums Pieces of A Man, and Winter in America. His words are remnants of the "Black Pride" movement of which I never got a change to be a part (not born yet). Looking at this gives me a chance to learn from that time in "HIStory". Thank-you again for what you do!