Friday, January 25, 2008

Episode 95: "Viola Lee Blues"


Alright, enough with the political stuff. I've been feeling a little blue lately, (being unemployed is wack) so I thought I'd share some old timey blues with y'all. I love this song, (and I'm trying to learn how to play it on the harmonica, but I got the wrong kind of harmonica) "Viola Lee Blues" by Cannon's Jug Stompers. In 1928, Gus Cannon called up Ashley Thompson and Noah Lewis (in order L to R in the photo above) and they recorded in an old Memphis auditorium as "Cannon's Jug Stompers". Two takes of "Viola Lee Blues" were recorded during a September 20th session with Noah Lewis on Vocals. See if you can understand the lyrics.

And if not, here they are:

Viola Lee Blues (Take 1) by Noah Lewis

The judge he pleaded, clerk he wrote it
Clerk he wrote it down indeedy
The judge he pleaded, the clerk he wrote it down
If you miss jail fellas, you must be Nashville bound

Some got six months, some got one solid
Some got one solid year, indeed Lord
Some got six months, some got one solid year
But me and my buddy both got lifetime here

Fix my supper mama, let me go to her
Let me go to bed, indeed Lord
Fix my supper, let me go to bed
I've been drinkin' white lightnin'
It's gone to my head

I hope y'all dig it too. Peace.

No comments: