Saturday, April 26, 2008

Episode 117: "The Bronze Buckaroo" (parts 1 & 2)


Howdy y'all...I haven't put out an old timey movie in a while, and who doesn't like a good western? Well, you may not think this movie is all that good...but it's not terrible either. It's just a western, but it's a black western, and that counts for something on this podcast. "The Bronze Buckaroo" (1939) stars Herb Jeffries, known for his roles as a singing cowboy, even though he doesn't sing all that much in this film. You can hear his song "I'm a happy cowboy" at the very beginning, but you don't get to actually see him singing it in the movie (as you can with other old black westerns starring Jeffries, I'll put out another one in the future so you can see what I mean). But he is a rootin' tootin' gun shootin' ladies' man of a cowboy...and that's what the old school western was all about. All in all I found this movie enjoyable. The whole talking mule joke is still pretty dang funny. And Spencer Williams does a fine job playing the crazy villian "Pete". If you've been watching the BMA for a while, you ought to recognize Spencer Williams from a few of the other past movie episodes (i.e. episodes 33 and 73). Mr. Williams was a talented actor/director and in my opinion deserves more props for his accomplishments. The same goes for Herb Jeffries, the African-American cowboy/country singer that has been all but forgotten today. But all that being said, I hope that y'all enjoy "The Bronze Buckaroo", a good example of how African-Americans attempted to cover different genres in film from the very beginning. I mean, when was the last time you saw an all black western movie hit theaters? See what I'm saying? Peace.

P.S. Shout out to blackphotographer for your comment on the BMA page on PodcastAlley. I hadn't checked out that page in a while, but I appreciate the props. For real.

No comments: