Thursday, July 10, 2008

Episode 134: "Let It Burn" (parts 1 & 2)


I haven't put out an episode featuring Robert F. Williams in a while (see episodes 50 and 76), and I've been sitting on this film until now. The documentary/interview "Let It Burn" with Robert F. Williams (1968) is a must see. 'Nuff respect to Robert C. Cohen for having the insight to make this film 40 years ago. If you'd like to see more of Mr. Cohen's work, you can check it out here or you can get a copy of Mr. Cohen's book about Robert F. Williams here. Mr. Williams was a brutha who didn't take no mess...he spoke his mind and stood up for himself and his community...and was promptly run out of the country for it. He is also someone whose voice and opinions need to be heard by the younger generation. So if you don't know who the man was...understand that there's a reason for that...then take this episode as an introduction to the man and his work. There are some great quotes in this film, so even though it's kind of long it's worth a watch. There's not a lot that I can add with this little commentary, so I'll keep it short. Watch this one, and then tell somebody else about it. Peace.

P.S. Thank you oakland babi for your comment on iTunes. It's comments like yours that help motivate me to keep this podcast going. I truly appreciate the kind words and support, and I love to hear how the BMA can help spark family conversations. I couldn't have wished for anything better from this podcast.

No comments: