Friday, March 14, 2008

Episode 107: Rosa Parks


According to my recent audience poll numbers, the sisters are my number one target demographic. Much love to y'all. In recognition of this, I'm going to release the next few episodes in celebration of some famous black women. I said in the beginning of this blog that I wanted to share more episodes that featured the voices of important black women with y'all, but unfortunately a lot of materials featuring African American women has been difficult to find. But I do have some...so I think it's time that I release a few. Starting off with Mrs. Rosa Parks. This interview was recorded in 1956, and is supposed to be one of her first after becoming a national figure due to her unjust arrest, and one of the few of her early interviews that is still available for us to hear. The interviewer (I don't know exactly who conducted this interview) sure seems to talk a lot in this episode, but it is still a revealing conversation. I especially like Mrs. Parks' quote, "I had decided that I had to know once and for all the rights I had as a human being, and a citizen, even in Montgomery, Alabama." Yeah, I like that. I hope y'all do too. Peace.

No comments: