Thursday, March 6, 2008

Episode 105: "Clean Pastures"


I know that judging by the poll, the cartoons I put out on here are not the most popular episodes...but I love cartoons, always have...and this in one y'all got to see. I mean, this is a real piece of classic American art right here. "Clean Pastures" (a spoof of the 1936 movie "The Green Pastures" which I've never seen) features black folks running heaven (or "Pair-O-Dice" as it's called in the cartoon) and yet they are all illustrated in that grotesque old school style (if you've been watching this podcast for a while, you know what I'm talking about...if not, go back to episodes 8, 13, or 21). Apparently in this one, Pair-O-dice is losing business to the Harlem night life, and after Stepin Fetchit is unable to persuade the folks on the street, its suggested that the only thing that will save the people is some good ol' foot stompin' swing band rhythm! All led by some caricatures of the black jazz stars of the day (1937, that is) done up as angels, including Fats Waller, Cab Calloway, and Louis Armstrong. Will the rhythm save the black sinning souls of Harlem prone to dancing, drinking, and gambling? Can Pair-O-Dice turn it around? What the hell does it all mean? I don't know...but it's definitely a piece of classic American animation that ought to be seen. So here it is. Enjoy. Peace.

No comments: